Thursday 29 September 2011

Part 5 - ag tosú níos mó ná

“how about we start with the fact that my sister that I’ve never met in my entire life, shows up out of the blue with some weirdo person with wings and a gun. Without my brother and expects me to be okay with it!”
Caoimhe said in a rush. Talking a step towards her I hugged her.
 “I’m sorry I was never there for you. But, I’ll never let anyone hurt you or take you away from me. I swear”
“Thanks. I’ve really missed you.”
Holding her at arms length I searched her young face. She looked so much like I did at her age. But yet... yet she was so different. More confident and self assured. More like Shane always was.
“They... we’ve kept your room. We clean it still though. Mum and dad always wanted it to be ready for when you came back.”
“Really? Emm.... can I see it?”
“Course”
“Thanks. I’ll meet you guys in the kitchen in a wee while. I just want to be on my own for a while.”
NJ walked over to me and placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. Giving her a small smile, I made my way back into the house. Looking round I noticed that the kitchen looked exactly the same as it had before I’d left. Same marble floors, expensive but pointless gadgets and the same unnatural cleanliness that I’d always hated.
Hesitantly I made my way up the flight of grand marble stairs, looking all around to see if anything  at all had changed. It hadn’t. Walking along the long corridors I pictured my room. Was it really kept the same? Turning to face a tall, oak door. I slowly reached my hand out to the door handle. Grasping hold of it, I braced myself, and opened the door.
“oh my God.”
Shuffling through the doorway, I was stunned. It was way different than it had been when I was 10. It was more grown up. Ready for me for when I came home.
Looking round I saw an envelope sitting on the king sized bed. My hand shaking uncontrollably, I opened the envelope, and pulled out a letter. Sitting down on the bed, I started to read:
To our darling girl.
                               If you are reading this you’ve finally came home but after we’ve died. Not a day went past were we didn’t hope you’d come and walk through that door. Every cold, wet night we were worried sick about you. We never knew if you were alive or dead and it broke our hearts. We named your sister Caoimhe because you always said to us that if you got a sister that we had to name her Caoimhe. So we did.
We hope you like your room. We spent ages deciding if we should redecorate it or not, but we decided to on your 15th birthday. It’s not been the same without you. Casey started acting all weird and secretive. He always had some weird friends over, and we could always hear them muttering in secret as if they were planning something. We don’t know what happened to him, but after he realised you weren’t coming back he left school and started getting into lots of trouble. We hope Caoimhe doesn’t turn out like him, but she is too much like you I think. Please try and help Casey, sweetheart. Before it’s too late. We were just glad he didn’t decide to become a necromancer like your uncle.
I really hope you stay safe and find whatever you were and are looking for in life. You were always strong willed and determined. It was what made people trust you. I need you to realise we are and were always behind you. No matter what choices you make in life.
Lots of love
Mum and Dad
Xo
p.s. we’ve been adding to your collection even after you left. There should be a lot there now. We think it will come in handy. Also the house and bulk of our money is left to you. Because if you are reading this we are dead, and we are sad that we couldn’t see you one more time since you left.
Best wishes
A tear fell onto the letter. Breathing deeply I wiped my eyes and stuffed the letter into my pocket. Looking up I made my way over to a picture of me and the horses. I looked so happy. Pulling the picture from against the wall, it revealed a safe. Typing in the code I swung the door open. At the sight of the contents in the safe I gasped. Lifting it out I brung it all over to my bed. Counting the money I saw that they had left me a grand total of £5750!
“Holy fuck” I muttered barely audible.
Shaking myself out of shock I put it back into the safe and closed over the picture. Looking around again, I was finally decided. Walking into my wardrobe I noticed all the clothes were conveniently in my size. Walking out into my room again I looked around to see what all they had left in it. Satisfied I turned and ran down the stairs into the kitchen to find NJ and Caoimhe making dinner.
“What the fuck are you doing?”
“Look Skye, it’s getting late. It makes no sense to drive back to Roarhaven tonight anyway. So we are gonna rest here for the night, pack some stuff and head on back. Kay? I’ve rung Skulduggery to let him know. They’ve briefed me in the plans. Also I’ve told Caoimhe about Shane.”
“Casey”
“whatever”
“Thanks NJ. I couldn’t do this without you.”
“Course you could have”
“No I wouldn’t”
“Yeah you’re right. You’d have been toast. I’m really amazing aren’t I?”
“And big headed”
“I’m not big headed I just recognise my own awesomness”
“yeah that’s it”
I said nodding my head teasingly.

*

After dinner we all said our goodnights and went to our bedrooms. As soon as my door closed behind me I went over to the desk and turned on the laptop that was sitting there. Whilst it was turning on I  quickly showered and changed into a new pair of pyjamas and cosy slipper socks. Satisfied and tired, I brung the laptop over to the bed and started to research mediators.
Page after page came up, and it took forever to get any clue why they would want Jesse. All of a sudden, the door creaked open. NJ’s tall frame, slide into the room and carefully closed the door behind her. Jumping onto the bed she grabbed a pillow and hugged it close to her.
“Cool place you got.”
“Thanks.”
“Right well what’s happening tomorrow?”
“Well I have money that we can bring, and we can take some clothes, etc to have at the safe house. Why what have you got?”
“Well... what i was planning was eating breakfast, having a nice long shower. Then watch some tv and chillax. You know?”
“Really”
“Wise the fuck up! Course not! We are gonna pack our stuff, grab a bite to eat and head straight down to Roarhaven. Jeez chillax. Honestly”
“Hey! You were the one who said it!”
“Still! Here get some sleep. You’re gonna need it”
“Kay”
Getting up , NJ went to exit the room when I stopped her
“Thanks NJ. You’re a good friend. You know?”
“course I am it’s me. I’m only messing. No problem, Skye. You’d do the same for me”
“In a flash”
“Sweet dreams”
“You too”
Smiling at each other, she slipped out of the door. Bringing a cape of darkness over the room.

1 comment: